Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Healthy Descions 2011!

Well last night was one of those dinner nights where I was so excited to try a new recipe from my new cookbook "Quick and Easy Cookbook" from the American Heart Association, but of course we were out of the house way past dinner time. And you find yourself contemplating stopping at a certain pizza place and not making dinner. But thanks to the new year and our pack to feed the kids healthy foods we ventured home to make dinner- Kids screaming in the car and all!
I had already planned on making these oven baked fish nuggets and some cauliflower to go along with it. The plan was to stop at the store for the ingredients we didn't have on hand but of course figured there wasn't time for that before major meltdowns! Figured I'd give them a try anyway. (Explain my adjustments along the way- but will type the original recipe)

Crispy Cereal Fish Nuggets

1lb white fish fillets (I used Maui Maui from Trader Joe's that was already cut up)
1egg
2tb skim milk (we keep 2% in our house)
1/4cup Parmesan cheese (we did not have.. so sad :-( Think this would have made them great! Any shredded cheese would be good I think..)
1/4cup cornflake crumbs or bread crumbs or panko
1/2t paprika- I used about 1full teaspoon because I ended up with more cornflakes.
A few shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, and dried basil- I add these to almost every recipe I make!

Preheat oven to 450.

Rinse fish and pat dry. Cut fish into bite-size pieces. I notice kids eat smaller pieces better than larger ones, so I always try to keep theirs small.

Beat together egg and milk in a shallow bowl.

Toss cheese, crumbs, and seasonings into ziploc bag.

Coat the fish in the egg mixture until well coated. Take out a few pieces at a time and toss it in the bag with the crumb mixture. Pull them out with a fork and lay them on an oiled or foil lined baking sheet. Then repeat until all fish is coated in crumb mixture.

Bake in oven- check it every 5minutes. Mine took almost 15 last night due to some of the larger pieces I had. But the small pieces I used for the kids were done at the 5min mark.

The recipe comes with a Lemon Tartar Sauce- I didn't make due to lack of ingredients, but am looking forward to making it next time.

1/2cup of fat free mayo
2tb finely chopped dill pickle
1t lemon juice
1t grated lemon peel

Mix together and keep in fridge until ready to serve fish.

(Nutrient Analysis- per serving. Calories 191kcal, Protein 26g, Carbs 14g, Cholesterol 64mg, Sodium 739mg, Total fat 3g (saturated fat 1g, poly 1g, mono 1g) )

Feel good starting the New Year off without stopping at a certain pizza place! It wasn't the most put together meal and between steamed cauliflower and mashed potatoes it looked a little blah on the plate but it tasted good, was healthy and the kids ate it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment