Saturday, April 14, 2012

Vegan Fruit and Yogurt Muffins

I have tried and tried to make low fat, fat free baked goods for lil man for awhile now. Some turn out pretty good, but others don't. Subbing applesauce for oil most times leaves the baked good chewy and tough.

This past week on Week 1 of Engine 2 Diet I was CRAVING fruit muffins! I have a really good Fruit and Yogurt Muffin recipe, but not only did the muffins need to be lower fat but now egg free and dairy free.. Ok I will do my best, but I was prepared for tough and chewy muffins...

My wonderful (vegetarian) sis in law suggested a few different things for me to try and then said she made muffins the other day that turned out pretty fluffy for vegan muffins.. humm maybe worth a try. What was the secret ingredient you ask. vinegar. plain old white vinegar. SERIOUSLY?!?! What turned out with my few little tweaks were GREAT MUFFINS!! Still a little shocked at how well they turned out! Cant wait to make them again- double batch next time!

Egg-Free, Dairy-free, Low-fat Fruit and Yogurt Muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest from 1 lemon
1cup sugar
6oz soy yogurt (I used raspberry flavored)
1/4 cup of soy milk (together with yogurt and milk should equal 1 cup of soy milk product)
1/3 cup applesauce (I used those snack packs of applesauce so I didn't measure- just used whole thing)
1 tablespoon white vinegar (you can use cider vinegar too)
1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit (I used triple berry blend- make sure no sugar added)

Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin tin with pam spray

Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and then wet ingredients in another- leaving out the fruit.

Mix wet and dry ingredients then gently add in and mix fruit.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full (I always overfill!)

Bake 20 minutes and check with toothpick.


The best thing about these muffins, like the recipe from allrecipe.com that I enjoy, is that you can change the fruit and yogurt to anything!!! I wanted a triple berry muffin so that what I did, but you could do peach (seems to be a popular soy yogurt flavor!) Or you could do vanilla yogurt with a little orange extract (1 teaspoon) and then dried cranberries!! Yum!

If you try these please let me know how they turn out for you! After I made them and Hubby tasted and approved, he reminded me that we added vinegar to pancakes once awhile to make them fluffy- I think it was a buttermilk recipe and we didnt have buttermilk.. so I guess vinegar in cooking isn't as weird as it sounds. And no there isn't an after taste at all!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment